A new moon is a time of new beginnings. It’s the close of an old cycle and the beginning of a new one. Though the sky appears dark and blank, it can be a powerful time for magic and goal-setting. Here are five ways that you can harness the power of the new moon:
- Set your goals for the next moon cycle. What projects are you intending to begin and work on for the next twenty-eight days? Take time to write them down. Place a reminder of your new goals on your altar. For example, if I’m wanting to write a new story this month about mermaids, I place a picture or statue of a mermaid on my altar to keep it in the forefront of my mind.
- Plant a seed. A new moon is a great time to literally plant a seed. For gardeners and anyone who would like a little growth in life, this symbolism can help inspire something new. It’s also a great time to buy a houseplant or divide plants you already have.
- Sit in the dark. Whether you go outside to gaze at the sky or look through a window, it’s a good time to feel the stillness. Take time to meditate and think about your comfort with darkness, with the unknown. As a child, I was afraid of the dark for a very long time. I still try to include sitting in darkness as part of my ritual work.
- Work with stones. Some excellent stones to work with during the new moon are labradorite for fresh starts and obsidian, which is associated with protection. Clear quartz can be used at any time for any moon cycle; it’s a good all-purpose stone that is said to give clarity in any situation.
- Focus on your sleep. I tend to sleep a lot during the days around new moons, so I keep a dream journal close at hand. My dreams are often more vivid during this time, and I get many inspirational ideas and solutions to problems in this time of dark.
The new moon can be the start of a productive new creative cycle. It just takes a few moments to attune to the world around us, in all its soft darkness.